I just finished a project : Doctor Tunes, a nice Mac app that helps in reorganizing itunes media library. I developed this little bastard to explore itunes and music metadata apis and to bring order to my fairly big song library.
This is what i discovered:
- there are a lot of metadata apis, each one is different and not compatible. choose wisely.
- song lyrics are copyright protected and any attempt in building a commercial app on free lyrics db would be a request-for-being-sued
- there are some commercial metedata apps on the mac store, each of them expensive and crappy.
- http://echoprint.me/ has an open source library that allows you to calculate a song’s fingerprint and search metadata on their db
- shazam and soundhound use echoprint
- discogs has a nice api and database for song and metadata search.
- developing an app for mac is fun.